Fly Fishing Forum banner

chronomid pattern

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  flysully 
#1 ·
Here is my go to pattern. Forget the name of the pattern but they all kinda look the same. It is always the best producer in my box. Also tie one with a red thread overwrapped with green frostbite that works pretty well.

Hook: Scud
Head: brass bead over white cdc
Thorax: peacock herl
abdomen: black thread covered with two strands of red frostbite
rib: fine silver tinsel

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
John I use either poly yarn or cdc on most of my midge/chrono patterns in this manner. Pretty standard around here for lake guys. It does a good job of imitating the gills on the chronos.

One thing I missed on the pattern (which I forgot to do in the pick as well) is to coat the body with clear nail polish or something similiar. Creates a nice sheen and makes the pattern a lot more durable.

-sean

#6 ·
Frostbite is a spooled plastic translucent braid that is real popular around here for chronomid patterns. I usually pick apart the braid to separate out the strands before tying em in.

It is a really cool material due to its transluceny and shine. By modifying the color of your under thread you can get some cool effects.

I am sure your local shop can get some for you or try one of our sponsors.

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.